Moreton Island - Beth Wode Photography
Beth Wode Photography Website Background
ActionActionAltAdjustAlertAlert2AngleBracketDownAngleBracketLeftAngleBracketLeftSlimAngleBracketRightAngleBracketRightSlimAngleBracketUpic AspectRectable 18dpic AspectSquare 18dpBrowserCalendarCameraPhotoCameraPhoto2CameraVideo2CartCart2CartAddCartAdd2CheckmarkCommentComment2CreditCardCropDesktopDownloadDownload2EditEdit2EmailEmail2FlagFlag2FolderFolder2FolderOpenFullScreenGalleryGallery2GearHeartHeartOutlinedHelpHelpEncircledHideHistoryHistory2HomeHome2ImageImage2InfoInfoEncircledInfoEncircled2LaptopLayoutLinkLockLock2MenuMenu2MinusMinusSlimMobileMoreHorizMoreVertPagePage2PausePlayPlusPlusSlimPrinterSearchSearch2ShareSizesStarStarOutlinedSyncTabletTagTrashTrash2UploadUpload2UserUsersVideoCameraViewWarningWrenchXCrossActionActionAltAddAdjustAlertAlert2AmazonAndroidAppleArrowBackArrowNextBrowserCameraPhotoCameraPhoto2CartCart2CartAddCheckCloseCommentComment2CropCursorMoveDesktopDownloadDropboxFacebookFlickrFolderFolder2FullScreenSlimGalleryGallery2GoogleDriveGooglePhotosHelpEncircledHelpEncircled2HistoryHistory2HomeHome2InfoEncircledInfoEncircled2LaptopLayoutLightroomLinkLockLock2MenuMobileMoreHorizMoreVertNavigateBackNavigateNextPaintPausePeoplePeople2PersonPerson2PhoneSavePlayPrinterRemoveSearchSettingsSettings2ShareSharePrivateSizesSmugMugStarStar2TabletTrashTrash2TwitterUploadUpload2Wrench Page 1Page 1 CopyCombined ShapeCombined ShapeCombined ShapeCombined ShapetemplatestemplatesEZprints-98404-landscapeEZprints-98404-portraittemplatestemplatesEZprints-98406-landscapeEZprints-98406-portraitEZprints-98407-landscapeEZprints-98407-portraittemplatestemplatestemplatestemplatesEZprints-98416-landscapeEZprints-98416-portraitEZprints-98417-landscapeEZprints-98417-portraitEZprints-98418-landscapeEZprints-98418-portraitEZprints-98419-landscapeEZprints-98419-portraitshared-style-defs
Powered by SmugMug Log In

MI 12 Cape Moreton

Moreton Island Lighthouse was the first lighthouse built in Queensland. The 23 metre high lighthouse was lit for the first time in 1857, built by tradesmen and convicts. The tower is built on a rare rocky promontory on a sand island and is constructed of rough faced sandstone quarried on Moreton Island. The lighthouse was built to cope with increased shipping movements along the northern coast and for a long time was the only light on the entire east coast of Australia. The large number of wrecks scattered around the entrance to Moreton Bay, near the island, led to the need for the light. The original light source was an oil wick which was converted to pressurized acetylene gas in 1930, they also extended the height from the original 10.5m to 18.5m in 1928 when they upgraded the light, then the light was changed to 110 volt D.C electricity in 1937and further upgraded to 240v A.C in 1967 and finally to solar power in 1997. In 1998 the lighthouse was made fully automatic and now has laser beam which directs a light up to 30kms out to sea. The overall height is now 23m. The lighthouse is on the northern point of Moreton Island near North Point. The Rocky outcrop which the lighthouse sits upon is also a great viewing point for Whales migrating and spotting marine life. Dolphins, whales (in season), manta rays, dugongs and turtles can be viewed from this area in the water below. For a great source of island history, visit the free Moreton Island National Park Information Centre which is located near the lighthouse in one of the old keeper's cottages. www.visitmoretonisland.com/sights/lighthouse

moreton islandcape moretonlighthousegrassgrassy knollskycloudy skyrocksgraniteochre rocksbeth wodelandscape